|What a cute doggie!|
I showed the children examples of caricatures. We discussed why an artist would use that technique and compared real photos of people to caricature drawings of them. What a great conversation we had!
I don't have a kiln, so we used air dry clay for this project. The children seemed to have a great time making these! And I could see doing a variation of this for medieval gargoyles or for a fun nature project.
Here are some of my notes from this project:
- I started by giving each child enough clay for a pinch pot only and walked them through the technique of making a pinch pot.
- Then I gave each child another ball of clay (about the same size as the first) for their critters' features and limbs. This helped to ensure that the critters did indeed have a large mouth and the students were able to create the pinch pot--an integral part of the project.
- Air dry clay works OK. I used Crayola brand with my students, but one bucket of clay was more moist than the other. I just had the kids knead the dry dough and work in a little water to make it more pliable. I used 2 five pound buckets of Crayola air dry clay for 12 critters.
- I used a bit of the clay in some water to make slip (a slurry of clay and water used to attach clay pieces together). I demonstrated to the children how to "scratch and attach" the clay pieces such as eyeballs and legs to the pinch pot form. I gave each student a cotton swab and a toothpick for this. Using this technique allows the pieces of air dry clay to fuse together better than just squeezing them together.
- I brought in a hot glue gun the next week to attach any pieces that may have come off during drying. Most were pretty good.
- We used acrylic craft paint to finish our critters. The colors are nice. Next time I might try finishing them with a varnish or clear coat to make them shiny.
We loved this project! Try it yourself (and send me pictures!!)!
|A "blood thirsty" beaver |
(I'm not making this up!).
|A frog and its dinner (a fly).|