Monday, January 19, 2015

Out with the old! Art catalog magnets

So, are you feeling the urge to organize your classroom, your paperwork, your art space? No, me neither! Just kidding!

But if you are throwing out some old magazines and art catalogs, here's a great project that you really should try (I know you've probably seen it everywhere)! Take a couple of those great art catalogs from last year (Crystal Publications catalogs are my favorite for this!) and grab a few inexpensive art supplies and get crafting! The reason I love the art catalogs is that they have tons of little images of art posters that are the perfect size for this project. It's sort of addicting once you get started--it's so fun to create your own gallery of art magnets!


You can also use magazine images and text (Family Fun magazine is another favorite of mine) if you like more random images and funky text for your magnets. You may be able to use your own images--just make sure they are laser color copies and not inkjet since the ink will bleed when you brush on the Mod Podge.

These make a nice little gift when you display them in a unique way. I had my art students attach them to a piece of card stock and slip them into a zip-top bag, but I've seen people put them in an old Altoids tin. The would be nice on a card that looked like a fancy frame (or maybe a whole bunch of little frames with one magnet in each frame)--really the sky's the limit on how you can present these. They are great gift for the artsy people in your life! (hint, hint!)

Art Catalog Magnets

Supplies Needed:

  • Old art catalogs or magazines
  • 1" clear glass "blobs" from the dollar store--these were bigger than the standard 1/2" blobs that I use for other projects
  • 1" circle template (see below)
  • Pencil
  • Scissors
  • Mod Podge
  • Foam brush
  • Palette for Mod Podge
  • Newspapers for work surface
  • Circle magnets (I bought mine at Michael's for $7 for a pack of 50 magnets, I think)
  • Super glue (I tried jewelry glue but, WHEW! it stunk--serious brain cell killing going on with that stuff!)
Directions:

1. Create your template/viewing window: I used a 1" circle punch to punch a hole in a scrap piece of white card stock. I then used this 1" hole to view my art catalog images and select the images for my magnets. Clear, bright images work best. I also suggested to my students that they take one of the glass blobs and place it over any images that were questionable to see if they would read easily--most are fine.

2. Once you find an image that would work well for you magnet, use the template and pencil to trace a circle onto the image. Cut out using scissors.

3. Use the foam brush to brush a bit of Mod Podge onto the flat side of the glass blob. Place your image face down onto the Mod Podge and brush another coat of Mod Podge onto the back of the image. Set aside to dry thoroughly.

4. When you are sure the image is completely dry on the glass blob (give it a couple hours), add a dot of Super glue to the back of the glass blob and place a magnet on top. Allow the glue to dry according to manufacturer's directions before using.

5. ENJOY!

2 comments:

  1. I am going to have my quick finishers start these next week!! I already have all of the supplies! Thank you for the great resource!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY! SO glad you could use this idea--they really do come out neat. I hope your students enjoy making them. Thanks for stopping by! Mrs. P

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...